Easy Stawberry Cake

Happy Flashback Friday Peeps!

Do you make a point to do something you love on the weekends? What’s your favorite thing to do? I love to work on projects in my craft room. I’ve got a list of about 10 on my project-board right now! I also love to bake. Baking is therapy for me.The way the ingredients work together for taste and texture is a science… but the finished project is art…aromatic, mouth-watering art…sigh.

Soooo, I’m pulling out a recipe that is one of my favs. I’m thinkin I’ll make this recipe into cupcakes this weekend…

*****

It’s almost strawberry time and we’ll all be over-run with plump delicious berries… Naturally, I take a perfectly healthy berry and sugar it up a little.  Time for Strawberry Cake!(Or cup cakes!)

decorated-strawberry-cake-2

The recipe is super easy, using a white cake mix as the base~

strawberry-cake-batter

The icing is easy too! Just butter, confectioners sugar and mashed strawberries!

strawberry-icing

And here’s the great thing: this cake is so forgiving. I routinely over-cook the cake, and while I wouldn’t suggest you do this… even over-cooked this cake is moist!  The mashed strawberries and jello in the mix make for a super moist cake!

strawberry-cake-slice

Next time you’re at the grocery store grab some strawberries and try a strawberry cake. I’ve included my recipe just in case you don’t already have one! (Watch for “***” to see what I do that’s a snibbit different than the recipe!)

decorated-strawberry-cake

STRAWBERRY CAKE

Preheat oven to 350*

1 package white cake mix 1 package (3 ounces) strawberry-flavored gelatin powder

1 cup vegetable oil

4 eggs, lightly beaten

1/4 cup water

3/4 cup mashed strawberries

Combine cake mix and gelatin powder in large bowl. Beat in oil, eggs, water, and strawberries. Beat on HI for 30 seconds~then on MED. for 2 minutes. Pour into 2 9 inch round greased and floured cake pans. (Pat bottom of pans gently on counter-tops to even the batter in the pans!)

Bake 350*  oven for app. 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

*******I use 3- 9 inch cake pans therefore adjust baking time…start checking with toothpick at about 20 minutes!*********

Cool completely…I put the cooled cake in the freezer for a few minutes before frosting. Otherwise, the frosting will slide off!

STRAWBERRY ICING

1/2 cup butter

1 pound confectioners sugar

1/4 cup mashed strawberries

*****

I make 1 and 1/2 recipes of icing~ I like to have LOTS of icing!!!)*****

Beat butter  and confectioners sugar together until smooth. Add strawberries.

Spread between cake layers, then frost top and sides! Decorate with extra (washed & dried) strawberries!

***If your cake isn’t totally cooled the icing will slide right off the cake! You can add more confectioners sugar to thicken frosting if needed***

Take time to do something you love this weekend my friends…feed your creative self and tickle your taste buds while your at it! A list of all my recipes are HERE under All Things Recipes!

xo

ps…please come back on Wednesday for All Things Inspired! Link up your inspiration…maybe even your weekend creativity!  And if you have an extra minute…the All Things Inspired (Here) from last Wednesday is full of inspiration! You’re sure to get your creative juices flowing!

Comments

People I ate that cake you are looking at and it was perfect! I ate a small piece and then ate another small piece that combined makes a BIG piece!

I want some more!!!

2. Darlene says

You’re right Ruthie. That cake was delicious. Robin, you truly are our very own Martha Stewart.
    Love you.

Oh yeah. It’s almost strawberry season here. There are several “U-Pick” farms in the area and I’ll be getting a flat and trying this recipe; and eating them w/just a little sugar; and with short cake; and fruity drinks; and…..well you get the idea. lol Blessings, SusanD

My mouth is watering just looking at it! I used to bake cakes a lot when I was growing up. I need to invest in some pans and start again. Robin, you always seem to inspire me in one way or another!

Thanks for sharing!! Happy Wednesday to you!

My freind Susan D. sent me over here to check out this wonderful recipe! I posted about cakes today on my blog and she commented and told me to come over here and check you out!
    So fun and can’t wait to try this one out! I love strawberries!

6. Dad says

Robin, I know J B & T M would appreciate ( a bunch ),
    luv even, if you were to bring one of those SB C’s to Gwinnett this coming Friday or Saturday! Whata’
    think?? If for some reason they they have other
    things on their minds………..I’ll take care of it :)

7. melissa says

The cake looks great. and I see you used the little ribbon bookmark thingy’s you made the other day for presentation effect…very nice!!!

Yum! I love strawberries. My son has been talking about trying them after a weird year of not liking them. A great way to reintroduce him 😉

Thank you for popping over to my blog.

That’s neat you are a first time Grandma (Gigi). I have 2 GRAND~girls! They are so much fun. They call me Gigi because that mean son of mine taught them too. Gigi is my real name. I was really hoping they would call me nanny or meme or something fun, but no they call me Gigi. I like them calling me that now, Shelby slipped and called me Grandma the other day and it sounded so wrong. Oh well, I’m just glad they call me.

Hey you, I made that strawberry cake last weekend and it was wonderful! I blogged it late last night for my Tasty Tuesday. Hope you don’t mind and I gave you all the credit! Thanks for a keeper of a recipe :)

11. Debbie says

Thank you so much for your recipe and my son’s birthday is coming up in a few days and will get the ingredients to make it for him as he loves anything strawberry, especially cake. Also, I like the cake plate it is on makes for a nice display.

1. […] I made a Coca Cola Cake for Emma’s Graduation Open House and I thought I’d throw out a couple of recipes in case you may not have tried it yet! The Coca Cola Cake was a great opposite taste to the Strawberry Cake that I also whipped up! (The Strawberry Cake is great and easy…recipe here) […]

2. […] a successful cake or two. Here are a couple of links just to make me feel less of a cake wreck! Strawberry Cake and Banana Chocolate Chip Cake and CocaCola […]