Loving Well

This is Daddy & Mama in 1957-aren’t they adorable?

~Family~

Once upon a time I sat around a big table eating Thanksgiving dinner with my family without even the slightest consideration that some day, some of those chairs would be empty.

Then Gramma left.

Then my little brother David.

Then Mama.

These days I don’t do an emotional hit and run at Thanksgiving.

You know, “I”m thankful for family”…now, let’s eat!

No presumption that things will always stay the same.

Because now, I know better.

So many of you know what I’m talking about.

I rarely tell you what to do or what not to do…because really, I’m hardly ever certain about anything…

But about this I’m sure, you’ll never go wrong if you:

~Breathe deep every moment of this holiday like it could be your last.

~Give love as if you have tons to spare.

~Don’t leave anything( positive) left unsaid.

~Let go of the petty things. You aren’t a petty person.

In the end, it all boils down to how well we’ve loved.

Love well my friends~Happy Thanksgiving

Comments

1. andy says

Robin Happy thanksgiving to you and your family. I really enjoy your blog and you and your family seem like such good people. Happy thanksgiving !!!!

2. Bev says

Oh, Robin, no one could say it better. For so many years I took it all for granted that it couldn’t happen to me. My parents would be forever. Wrong. So wrong. My Father passed away in July 2008 and my Mother passed away in April 2010. My holidays now seem so empty. With every Christmas song and every “I’ll be home for Christmas” I miss them more and more. If you have your parents be there for them not just on the holidays but every day that you can possibly be there. Say the things you want them to know like “I love you” as often as you can. Give back to them in their older years what they gave to you…especially time spent with them. Show them just how much you love them in every possible way…because not one is immune to the loss of their loved ones.

Happy Thanksgiving and count your blessings no matter how large or small they may be… for life is short and tomorrow could be to late.

This year is different for me having just lost my Mom last month. My Thanksgiving will never be the same. I appreciate this article coming at a time when I need to be reminded of what I am thankful for. You have brought that home to me with your words. Thanks and have a Happy Thanksgiving!

4. Rena says

Both my parents and a grandfather died in the month of November. Instead of being sad, I choose to remember and be thankful for the great memories I have of a wonderful, loving family. Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday because we don’t focus on giving or receiving tangible gifts. We give thanks for the blessings we receive whether deserved or not. Have a blessed Thanksgiving.

Yes, I do know exactly what and who you are speaking of in your post. Thank you for sharing those wise words from your heart. Blessings to you and your family as you celebrate Thanksgiving. SusanD

6. Pamela Reuter says

Dearest Robin and Family,
    Happy Thanksgiving to you all and many Blessings be with you throughout the season!!! I too appreciate all of the family that will be with us and miss the ones that can’t. God Bless you all and wishing you all much happiness!!!
    Pamela and Family!!! :)

7. judy in carefree says

After reading “No Biggie’s” and your post, I am reduced to tears. Happy Thanksgiving. May your day with family be perfect!

8. jenn nahrstadt says

woke this morning with a battle raging and the Lord was good to me and revealed the Truth of the fight. He was victorious and i was delivered, and the rest of this day i will, by His strength and power at work within me, be able to be loving toward those i love most (who sometimes we treat the worst). thanks for the confirmation that He’s leading me on the right path…much love to you and thanks for you, dearheart!

Right now I am feeling GUILTY because I decided to make it easier on myself and I bought Chinet plates with pretty paper plates to go over them to use for Thanksgiving. I also took all of my Fall decor down, packed it away and the house is BARE and ready for Christmas decorating. Last night I found out someone I never met is coming for dinner!!!! This is the first time in 44 years I have not set a pretty table and had the house decorated. BUT, I will concentrate on LOVE. For all of my guests. That is the most important thing. Who knows who will still be with us next year. BLESSINGS and HUGE amounts of love to you my sweetest friend!!!!!!!!!!! XO, Pinky

10. Joanne says

Again, love your words today . :) I know exactly how you feel , we have very empty chairs this year. But thankful for the ones that are full. Hugs and love to you as you celebrate with the ones you love ……..

I am so grateful and feel so very blessed by your words today, Amy. My mother’s health is declining, and though she is hanging in there for now, I just don’t know what next year will bring. So I’m giving thanks for her being able to celebrate the day with all of us — and I’m giving thanks for you, too, sweetie. Have a wonderful day tomorrow. ?

xoxo laurie

Wonderful post Robin! This will be our first Thanksgiving without my Dad. I am going to miss calling home and not having him there to chat with. But, I still have my Mom to chat with and my brother, so I am thankful for that! The one thing we all learn as we travel this road of life is that everything changes, nothing ever stays the same. And, although I am a little sad that I will not be traveling home this year for Thanksgiving, I will be thankful that I am sharing it with my hubby and two daughters and that we have a warm home, plenty of food and our health.

Have a blessed and happy Thanksgiving!

You always touch the sweetest spot of my soul and I am always listening to you… always soaking in your words and putting them into action in my life. I’m so thankful for you!

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours! Love you big and wide :)

Robin —
    You have been on my heart lately. I can’t explain why, but I’m thinking about you and wishing you lots of happiness. This is a beautiful post. Thank you. I read a book for my church book club that you will enjoy if you haven’t already read it. It’s called “The Gift of the Red Bird” by Paula D’Arcy. Let’s have a cup of Christmas coffee.
    Hugs,