Making Bird Seed Christmas Ornaments!

Making bird seed Christmas ornaments is one of my favorite projects in December! All you need is a few pine cones, peanut butter, birdseed and, if you have them, a few cranberries!  Using floral wire to hang them I simply wrap it around the pine cone and twist it into a hookTied a bow at the top and TaaaDaa~Cute birdseed Christmas ornaments!

pinecone-christmas-ornament

pinecone-ornament

I’m hanging a pine cone in my crabapple tree in the front yard for my front yard birds!

pinecone-ornament-in-tree

Then I made some suet Christmas ornaments for the birds too!

birdseed-ornaments-on-the-w

First microwave a block of suet for a few seconds. Then add some peanut butter. Mix! The kids will like this ooey-gooey part! Now roll into small balls and tie with garden twine. (tie it kinda tight so it’ll hold the ball) Roll the ball in birdseed and poke in a few cranberries. Pack it tight and waaa-laa!

bird-seed-christmas-ornamen

christmas-ornaments-for-the

I have a threesome of trees on the deck where I hung a few of the ornaments for my critters!

outdoor-tree-for-the-birds

trees-decorated-for-the-bir

And on the wreath! Why not?

wreath-with-bridseed-orname

christmas-trees-for-the-bir

In the interest of full disclosure I must tell you after a short while I realized it’s better to ration the scrumptious ornaments or these little rascals run off with all of them!

squirrel-eating-birdseed

I’m storing most of the bird seed ornaments in a baggie in the freezer and putting a couple out every morning. This works better for the little birds!

~Have a day full of kindness to all things big and small my friends~

Comments

Oh I’m so glad to meet another bird lover! We make these every year too (only yours are actually pretty) and feed the birds all year long! So fun to bird watch.

Get out!!!! Those are so darn cute. We are major birders here at our house and I love watching them come up to our feeders. I’ve got a bag of cranberries in the fridge, will they eat them? Love this project!

The pine cones really look pretty hanging on wreaths and trees. What a great idea for the wildlife. I have tons of squirrels and birds here. I think I’d have to ration them a little too!

This is the most fabulous thing ever !!!!! I am needing something to do with my kiddos during the Christmas break and you’ve just made my day… this is it. We’ve got lots of tall trees in our neighborhood and plenty of hungry squirrels. I absolutlely love this !

Hugs
    Kate

Thanks for linking up today…. so happy to visit your blog !
    .-= Kate at Centsational Girl´s last blog ..An Ornament Party =-.

5. Sarah Holiday says

What a great idea!! My husband and I wanted to put ornaments on our pine tree in the front yard but didn’t want the ornaments to blow away or break. I am going home to make these tonight!!

Thank you for sharing this! I need to make one of these! I was just telling my husband that I wondered if the birds in our tree were hungry.

I saw something similar in a neighboring yard and could not believe all of the squirrels and birds hanging out. I am sure my boys would more than love to make something like this- thanks for the neat idea!

You are so sweet to do this for the birds and squirrels! We would have to attach the ornaments with something STRONG for our squirrels! They are VERY CLEVER little devils:):) Stay cozy, Robin. We will be freezing again today!XOXO

They’re lovely, Robin! Todd and I put up a tree with lights on my mother’s back deck, and I’ve been wanting to make some feeder ornaments for the birds and squirrels so she can watch them feeding from her kitchen window. You’ve inspired me to get in gear and make them!!! Thanks, my friend. Hope you are having a beautiful holiday season. xo Gigi

Splendid idea and one the kids can be a part of, they’ll make them now, and later when they are grown! They are beautiful ornaments!

Happy for the birds too!

These are great! I bet your kids had a lot of fun helping to make the, and i know the critters will love them! We’ve lots of birds and squirrels and pinecones, too. :)

12. Christina Gentry says

Amazaing how those squirrels and birds eat this stuff up! I learned the simple version (just seed & PB) from Madilyn’s pre-school teacher a few years ago. You may have heard this one already, but here’s another one for you & your grandgirls (as they get older) and followers..Reindeer Food. That’s right, can’t let those sweet little reindeer go without while Santa is placing presents! Get some Quaker Oats, small gummy bears (worms, fish, etc.) and little bits of dried fruit. Toss in a ziploc or brown bag and spread around the backyard. We’ve done it with glitter for the sparkle factor, peanuts, raisins, etc. Make it with whatever & is a real cheap treat for my girl! This is now 3 years running & a tradition at our home on Christmas Eve…right before bedtime. *Note: I had a couple of gummies left this year on the ground. We decided that the reindeer must have been full from all the oats. ;o) Love & Blessings

Christina! That’s the BEST idea! I’m gonna try that and tell my sister since they have lots of deer roam around their back yard!
      love to you and yours!
      (Would love to see you guys sometime!)
      xo