Making Bird Seed Christmas Ornaments!

Making bird seed Christmas ornaments is one of my favorite projects in December! All you need is a few pine cones, peanut butter, birdseed and, if you have them, a few cranberries!  Using floral wire to hang them I simply wrap it around the pine cone and twist it into a hookTied a bow at the top and TaaaDaa~Cute birdseed Christmas ornaments!

pinecone-christmas-ornament

pinecone-ornament

I’m hanging a pine cone in my crabapple tree in the front yard for my front yard birds!

pinecone-ornament-in-tree

Then I made some suet Christmas ornaments for the birds too!

birdseed-ornaments-on-the-w

First microwave a block of suet for a few seconds. Then add some peanut butter. Mix! The kids will like this ooey-gooey part! Now roll into small balls and tie with garden twine. (tie it kinda tight so it’ll hold the ball) Roll the ball in birdseed and poke in a few cranberries. Pack it tight and waaa-laa!

bird-seed-christmas-ornamen

christmas-ornaments-for-the

I have a threesome of trees on the deck where I hung a few of the ornaments for my critters!

outdoor-tree-for-the-birds

trees-decorated-for-the-bir

And on the wreath! Why not?

wreath-with-bridseed-orname

christmas-trees-for-the-bir

In the interest of full disclosure I must tell you after a short while I realized it’s better to ration the scrumptious ornaments or these little rascals run off with all of them!

squirrel-eating-birdseed

I’m storing most of the bird seed ornaments in a baggie in the freezer and putting a couple out every morning. This works better for the little birds!

~Have a day full of kindness to all things big and small my friends~

Comments

1. As I was reading this, I was wondering about squirrels, thinking that you must have much more polite squirrels than we do. And then I got to the end of your post!
    .-= pam´s last blog ..Pecan-Crusted Catfish =-.

2. Oh I’m so glad to meet another bird lover! We make these every year too (only yours are actually pretty) and feed the birds all year long! So fun to bird watch.

3. Dad~. says:

NEAT O!! GREAT IDEA…..ME & THA THE LITTLE ONES LUV THIS
    CREATIVE STUFF!!

4. Dad~. says:

Neat O? : )
    Check out MercyMes’ version of Silent Night….
    Love you ~

5. Totally precious!! And looks easy too. :-)

6. Nice job, the birdies will have a hapyy christmas this way.
    .-= marianne@songbird´s last blog ..Christmas ornaments =-.

7. janice says:

love this idea! thank you for sharing.

janice

8. Darling! What a great idea!
    .-= Cheryl ´s last blog ..Beautiful but very cold snow. =-.

9. Get out!!!! Those are so darn cute. We are major birders here at our house and I love watching them come up to our feeders. I’ve got a bag of cranberries in the fridge, will they eat them? Love this project!

10. The pine cones really look pretty hanging on wreaths and trees. What a great idea for the wildlife. I have tons of squirrels and birds here. I think I’d have to ration them a little too!

11. What a sweet tweet!

I hope that you will come by and see the ornaments I made: pearl encrusted star, crystal and button ball and an anthro inspired tree topper.
    .-= Laura Ingalls Gunn´s last blog ..Anthropologie Inspired Tree Topper~Craft 3 =-.

12. What a great idea for a treat to my feathered friends…. a Christmas present! ;) Thanks for the recipe….

cielo

13. What a super idea. Thanks for the tutorial and the suggestion. Hugs, Marty
    .-= Marty´s last blog ..Met/Mosaic Monday-Deck The Halls Tues. =-.

14. You think of everything Robin, or should I say everyone? What a mighty pull on my heartstrings today :) Dare I say it almost looks so delish I would have a hard time leaving it to the birds!
    .-= Vicky´s last blog ..Playing at "The Ralph" =-.

15. This is the most fabulous thing ever !!!!! I am needing something to do with my kiddos during the Christmas break and you’ve just made my day… this is it. We’ve got lots of tall trees in our neighborhood and plenty of hungry squirrels. I absolutlely love this !

Hugs
    Kate

Thanks for linking up today…. so happy to visit your blog !
    .-= Kate at Centsational Girl´s last blog ..An Ornament Party =-.

16. What a great idea. I love it and it all looks so beautiful. You will have some very happy little friends.

Ruth
    .-= Ruth´s last blog ..‘Tis the Season Giveaway =-.

17. This is a GREAT idea! I love it!
    .-= Kim – today’s creative blog´s last blog ..Get Your Craft On! =-.

18. Just love these little goodies for the birds and squirrels! I think the cranberries in the little nooks and crannies really add alot and make them look super Christmas-y. Hey, just don’t hang any of them too close to where you park the car, you know?!?!?
    .-= jane carter´s last blog ..Christmas Blessings and Simple Ideas =-.

19. Neat idea! I’ve grown to hate the squirrels–they make off with all of our birdseed. Fun project for little ones. :) Visiting from Kate’s party! :)
    .-= Amanda @ Serenity Now´s last blog ..Trim the Tree: Ornament Party! =-.

20. This is a wonderful family project. Honestly your little trees are so festive and PRETTY! I love the nature ornaments. Plus you get to watch the animals come up to enjoy. Bonus!
    .-= Sherri S´s last blog ..Girls Night for Christmas =-.

21. Absolutely lovely idea. Looks good and makes great gift for nature lovers also.
    .-= ROSE fr FineCraftGuild dot com´s last blog ..Top 5 Barbie Dresses & Accessories =-.

22. Sarah Holiday says:

What a great idea!! My husband and I wanted to put ornaments on our pine tree in the front yard but didn’t want the ornaments to blow away or break. I am going home to make these tonight!!

23. This is an excellent idea! This would also make neat little gifts to the nature lovers on our lists.
    Best,
    Susan

24. Thank you for sharing this! I need to make one of these! I was just telling my husband that I wondered if the birds in our tree were hungry.

25. I saw something similar in a neighboring yard and could not believe all of the squirrels and birds hanging out. I am sure my boys would more than love to make something like this- thanks for the neat idea!

26. You are so sweet to do this for the birds and squirrels! We would have to attach the ornaments with something STRONG for our squirrels! They are VERY CLEVER little devils:):) Stay cozy, Robin. We will be freezing again today!XOXO

27. How sweet is that?? I love it!

28. They’re lovely, Robin! Todd and I put up a tree with lights on my mother’s back deck, and I’ve been wanting to make some feeder ornaments for the birds and squirrels so she can watch them feeding from her kitchen window. You’ve inspired me to get in gear and make them!!! Thanks, my friend. Hope you are having a beautiful holiday season. xo Gigi

29. This is so much cuter with the cranberries. Never tried that, thanks!

30. Splendid idea and one the kids can be a part of, they’ll make them now, and later when they are grown! They are beautiful ornaments!

Happy for the birds too!

31. What a great idea to do over Christmas break. The kids will love it! We don’t have any squirrels but we welcome many birds with our bird feeders we fill. I love the wreath idea!

Megan

32. reat idea thanks for sharing

33. I love this idea! The cranberries make them look so festive! I would be thrilled if you stopped by my Commercial Break Thursday at http://suzysartsycraftsysitcom.blogspot.com/ and linked this project!

suzy

34. I love this idea! The cranberries make them look so festive! I would be thrilled if you stopped by my Commercial Break Thursday at http://suzysartsycraftsysitcom.blogspot.com/ and linked this project!

suzy

35. Such a fun idea! I’ve got two little ones that adore birds. This is perfect!

36. My girlies are going to LOVE making these! Thanks for sharing!!!!

37. These are great! I bet your kids had a lot of fun helping to make the, and i know the critters will love them! We’ve lots of birds and squirrels and pinecones, too. :)

38. Splendid idea and one the kids can be a part of, they’ll make them now, and later when they are grown! They are beautiful ornaments!Happy for the birds too!

39. I remeberb this post. It is such a neat idea and SO darn thoughtful of you.! XO

40. Christina Gentry says:

Amazaing how those squirrels and birds eat this stuff up! I learned the simple version (just seed & PB) from Madilyn’s pre-school teacher a few years ago. You may have heard this one already, but here’s another one for you & your grandgirls (as they get older) and followers..Reindeer Food. That’s right, can’t let those sweet little reindeer go without while Santa is placing presents! Get some Quaker Oats, small gummy bears (worms, fish, etc.) and little bits of dried fruit. Toss in a ziploc or brown bag and spread around the backyard. We’ve done it with glitter for the sparkle factor, peanuts, raisins, etc. Make it with whatever & is a real cheap treat for my girl! This is now 3 years running & a tradition at our home on Christmas Eve…right before bedtime. *Note: I had a couple of gummies left this year on the ground. We decided that the reindeer must have been full from all the oats. ;o) Love & Blessings

• Robin says:

Christina! That’s the BEST idea! I’m gonna try that and tell my sister since they have lots of deer roam around their back yard!
      love to you and yours!
      (Would love to see you guys sometime!)
      xo

1. [...] Outdoor pinecone ornament (for the critters) by All Things Heart & Home [...]

2. […] A few years ago I did ornaments using peanut butter and cranberries, that’s an easy recipe too! Posted HERE […]