These Easy Pecan Turtles are perfect in case you need a last minute candy recipe! Most of you know I have Celiac Disease so I love yummy homemade candies that are safe for me to eat! This is one of those yummy treats but I have to grab them fast ’cause everyone loves them!!!
If you want to try this recipe using homemade caramel try Jamie Cooks it Up’s recipe. I adapted this from her wonderful recipe…
Before I get to the recipe I want to wish you all a Merry Christmas in case you don’t get to check back with me tomorrow. Enjoy your moments, every one of them and don’t forget to say a prayer for those who are hurting this Christmas…there are so many quietly hurting hearts…Christmas magnifies everything, nostalgia, joy and pain. One day we may need the prayers of others during the holiday season, so pause and whisper a prayer of comfort for those who need it today.
~Sending love sweet friends~
- 2 1/2 C pecans
- 1/2 C butter (I use salted)
- 1 package Caramels- melted on the stove-directions on package
- 1 package milk chocolate chips
- 1/2 t shortening (I use organic vegetable shortening)
- 1. Toss 2 1/2 cups of pecans into a large skillet. Toast them over medium high heat, stirring occasionally, until they have darkened just a bit and smell fragrant and wonderful. Should only take a few minutes.
- 2. Find yourself 2 large cookie sheets. Line them with parchment paper and spray it with cooking spray. Arrange your pecans into clusters, three to a group works well. You want to leave some space (about an inch) between each cluster.
- 3. Melt your caramels according to the directions on the package
- 5. Carefully drizzle about 1 1/2 teaspoons of caramel over each nut cluster. You'll want to work quickly, because the caramel will begin to set up. Be sure there is caramel touching all of the nuts in your cluster. The caramel works like glue, sticking the nuts together.
- 6. In a microwave safe bowl pour 12 ounces of milk chocolate chips. Heat in the microwave for 30 seconds at a time, stirring after each cooking interval.
- 7. Add 1/2 teaspoon of shortening to the melted chocolate. Allow it to sit for a minute or two (so it can melt and make the chocolate chips more spreadable). Stir it all together.
- 8. Spoon about 1 1/2 teaspoons of melted chocolate over the top of the caramel and nuts. Swirl it around along the top making a pretty swoop with your spoon.
- 9. Allow the chocolate to set up. Once it has hardened and cooled serve them immediately, or transfer them to an air tight container. *don't store these in a cold room...the caramel will get way too hard!)
I have other sweet recipes HERE !