I sold my big ottoman along with the comfy chair on Craigslist. (I’m still workin on the sofa and love seat! )We found a new sand-color slipcover-type sectional at Macy’s for the BEST price. It’s the color of West Coast sand not the sugar white sand of the gorgeous Gulf that I’m used to. But there was no ottoman with the cushy chair so I decided to make one!
I found this poor abandoned table at the thrift store for $2.99! It was wobbly but I knew The Husband could fix it…he can fix anything! Sure enough…he made it sturdy and then cut off the legs to make it just right for propping ones feet!
I got 2″ foam at JoAnn’s…this stuff is expensive but I had a 40% off coupon. Of course it immediately went on sale for 50% off!
Apparently an electric knife is the best way to cut foam…so The Husband did it so I wouldn’t saw my fingers off!
I painted the legs one of my true-love colors of Behr Ultra Paint with Primer…since this color was a custom match I need to think up a dreamy name for it…
Then I spread wood-glue all over the top of the table with a foam brush, put the foam pad on top and turned the table upside down to put some weight on the foam for about 30 minutes.
In order to make the top cushy, I layered cotton batting (I had this already) over the foam. I did lots of layers (4).
Using an electric stapler and 1/2″ staples I trimmed and stapled the batting in place. This is hard on the hands and I couldn’t have done it without an electric stapler, but then again my hands are pretty weak.
I got some heavy fabric at my favorite fabric warehouse that coordinated with my curtain fabric for the den. And trimmed and stapled myself silly…
Now you must know…I had NO idea where I’d go from here…I experimented with a couple of different things to finish the edge and settled on…
A pleated type ruffle made from the curtain fabric…but still it needed a little somin-somin…
So I dug through my trim left-overs and found some soft pink and cream trim…
Yes! I like it! (I sewed the trim to the ruffle)
Then with an upholstery needle and quilting thread (that’s all I had!) I sewed the finished ruffle to the edge of the cushion. WOW this was tough on my poor hands. I had to use pliers to get the job done!
But I got it done!
And I’m kinda tickled with this happy little ottoman!
My final cost was under $25.00!
Happy Day my Friends…
UPDATE: This project was done at our old house on Willow Creek, now on Stone House Lane, this sweet little ottoman lives in the Master Bathroom! It’s where I sit to get ready in the morning 🙂