It’s the Den-DIY Week around here! We’ve been doing a big project this summer if you haven’t been around you can check out All Things Home DIY posts HERE!
Today I want to show you a super easy project that saved us (no kidding) hundreds of dollars.
When we painted the stained heavy moldings and the wainscoting in the den (Behr Ultra Paint with Primer: Sandstone Cove), the wood blinds screamed: Hey, what about me? Paint Meeee!
It was glaringly clear we’d have to buy new wood blinds or paint the old ones…
You know what we did don’t you?
And when I say we, I mean I had the idea and The Husband did the painting.
The Husband fears nothing. He’ll take apart absolutely anything. And the slats need to be removed before painting soooo he jumped right in…
There’s a knot at the bottom of the blind with a wooden cap holding it all together…this has to be removed so the 2 cords that run through all of the slats can be removed.
After you pull the cords up and out, the slats are left positioned in little hammocks. Slip the slat out of it’s hammock home.
He did one window at a time. Our windows are almost floor to ceiling so there were lots of slats with each window.
He set up some covered tables in the basement and using the trim color we used everywhere, Behr Ultra Sandstone Cove (which is in Semi-Gloss) he painted the slats.(Lots of Behr Ultra Before and Afters HERE.)
Now…our blinds are 20 years old and they did not have a shiny finish. The Husband is brave and didn’t sand them one bit. The Behr Ultra has primer in the paint…(cue the Hallelujah Chorus…) so the normal 2 steps is mercifully cut in half! If you decide not to use Behr Ultra, after having your sweet head examined, you’ll need to prime before you paint!
The Husband has a spray-gun so this was really easy…load the paint and spray. (He could have used my BFF The Paintbrush, it just would have taken a bit longer.)
The thing about this project is the time…paint-let dry completely-turn the slats over-paint-let dry completely…repeat on the next window.
When the slats are dry just tuck them back into their tiny hammocks and run the 2 cords from the top to bottom back through the holes…tie off the cord and WaaaLaaa!
This project is such a big bang for your buck and since I’m doing our entire DIY Project for next to nothing…one more time that Behr paint with primer has saved me!
Have a big bang kind of day my friends…xo
(ps… Some of you have asked when I’ll start back with some heart-posts…I promise, I’ll get back to them soon! Thanks bunches for being patient~)
I’ll be linking…