After our downstairs re-do last summer-HERE and Kitchen HERE and Library HERE and Foyer HERE and some of the furniture HERE I’m going to eventually going to tackle the upstairs! I’m organizing closets and planning what’s going on the walls before I start painting everything not moving!
One fun thing I want to do is a wall of vintage mirrors! But I don’t want to actually BUY vintage mirrors, so I decide to DIY some mirrors to look vintage.
I love love love the way they turned out!
I was inspired by Vintage Revival! As far as I know, she’s the first one to do this and certainly she’s perfected the technique!
Here’s what you Need:
*Paint Remover (in a spray can)
(You get the Muratic Acid at Home Depot-I’ve heard from several readers about how dangerous this acid is…so be safe w/ your gloves…use it only outdoors where it’s well ventilated and wash it off AWAY for any vegetation)
*Gloves-heavy duty- Neoprene
*Scraper…I used a car windshield scraper!
*Lots of paper towels!
*Vintage fabric or vintage look scrapbook paper for smaller mirrors
Next spray paint remover on the back of mirror and follow directions. What you’re trying to do is scrape the paint off so you can get to the mirror’s reflective layer.
I had to do this several times and even use a car window scraper on this particular mirror.
Now, with gloves on spray Muratic Acid on the back of the mirror.
Let sit for 10-15 seconds then rinse it off w/ the hose…in a pine island without plants nearby! I did this several times until it looked like I wanted it. The better the mirror the longer it’ll take to eat through the reflective coating, a cheap mirror doesn’t take long at all so be quick and careful!
Cut a piece of vintage fabric to fit the back of mirror. Spray adhesive spray onto front of fabric and adhere to the back of mirror.
Reattach the back of your mirror…if it had one!
I love this fabric, it was a dress in another life…(I did some work on the frame while I was at it! A bit of spray paint and sand paper until it looked like I wanted!)
I found a little dresser mirror for $2.00! Soooo….
Just peeled off the felt on the back and followed the same *Paint Remover, * Muratic Acid, *Fabric steps!
Except I used paper instead of fabric on this…
I love the way this turned out too!
When we moved last year, I did an arrangement on the master bath wall with the mirrors, so this is where they live right now! (if you want to see HERE is the post!)
Happy creating my friends