Ruffled Tee

I’m so happy you’re here! If you’re new, I’d love to connect with you on Facebook or Pinterest!

I was crazy with redesigning tee shirts for awhile and this one was my favorite.

***

I’ve been cutting up tee shirts again. I bought 2 of these ’tissue tees’ at Target and cut up one of them to make ruffles for the other…they were cheap so cutting one was fine! That’s my story…

DSC_0038

I cut one of the tees into 6 long strips then sewed a basting stitch close to one side and pulled into a ruffle…no need to hem…knit is a beautiful thing.

Picnik collage

I played around with where to put the ruffles and then pinned them in place…

DSC_0015

Then just sewed the ruffles into place and ironed them a bit!

DSC_0029

I’ve got to quit buying shirts with the idea of cutting them up!

Comments

Your shirt turned out so great. I too have an addiction to buying clothes with the purpose of refashioning them. My husband thinks that it’s ridiculous and calls it t-shirt cannibalization.

I am having a Top-toberfest celebration this week at my blog. I’d love it if you’d come and link up this and any other shirts that you’ve made, embellished, or refashioned. It’s kind of a t-shirt show and tell.
    Here’s the direct link to the Link Party.

Tricia

I’m so in love with ruffles! I have tons of T-shirts at home, so I’m going to give it a try. Thanks so much for the tutorial!. I like reading your blog. I’ve done DIY projects and posted on http://www.makemania.com Take a look at mine and feel free to promote cool projects from your blog!

3. Pinky says

Are you kidding me???? You need to start a LINE OF CLOTHING!!!!!!!!!!! I really want one of these, I KNOW you coould sell them!!!!!!

I absolutely love it! I have been thinking of making one just like this, but haven’t had the guts to try it. Seeing yours is giving me the courage to go for it! Thanks!

5. Abby Marriott says

Hey I LOVE this shirt…but I’m new to the whole sewing ruffles scene. I could really use some better instructions. Three questions: How wide and long were your strips? Did you wrap the ruffles in a semi-circle or in lines? And, did you sew them on with a machine or by hand? If you could answer those I would be SO happy. Thanks!!

Abby…I just played it by ear the ruffles were about 1-1 1/2 inch’s I think and I doubled the area I wanted to cover leaving room to ruffle the fabric…The ruffles are lines that meet in the middle because it’s easier to do 2 smaller strips of fabric when making the ruffle…I always use a machine and if you google How to make ruffles…you’ll find lots of great tutorials. This post was more to give an idea on how to use ruffles on a tee shirt so I didn’t go into how to make ruffles! Good luck!

Oh my….I am in LOVE. I might have to get my mom to help me with one and then give it a go myself! I am a complete sucker for ruffles for me and my girls. Found you from pinterest! Off to check out more of your stuff:)

I love this t-shirt! I love it so much I actually have it “pinned” for a birthday present to myself. Problem is, I DO NOT know how to sew. Do you sell these anywhere? If not, were you inspired by a store that carries something similar?

Leah…I don’t sell them. I’m sorry. and I was inspired by all the ruffles everywhere last year! (my go-to clothes come from J Crew) I don’t think I saw a similar one, I just experimented with the ruffles until the design looked right! This really is an easy think to do, but try an old tee shirt first! xo

8. Sheri says

Did you pull the strips before stitching them to the shirt? Not yet tried this but, hope to very soon! Thanks for sharing!

I have been toying with making a recycled ruffle t-shirt here lately. I came across your tutorial. Did you use any kind of backing for your ruffles? I’m concerned about the ruffle part being too heavy and pulling down on the shirt.

10. joni says

I love this t-shirt! Can’t wait to give this a try. I’m wondering the same thing Amanda is…how did you cut the shirt? Thanks for a beautiful idea!

11. Liz says

Aboslutely love this….. ive never sewn in my life but would love to try this!! Is there a video i can see how to do this step by step???

12. Elizabeth says

Ditto everyone’s comments on here about how great this shirt is! I am unclear as to how you created the ruffles. Anyway you can jot an easy 3 step process? Just not sure what to do with the strips once you cut them (i.e. how to configure the ruffles and then sew them)

Thanks so much! Sorry if this is a silly question :)

13. erickapugh1214 says

you should start making them! they are great..mabee even with diff color ruffles. if you do let me know i would so be some!

14. tkinninmont says

I have made something like this before but you are right, it is really easy. It looks hard and complicated but it is not. Thanks for posting this. You did a great job and inspired me to do this for myself.
    T

I just found your blog and have fallen in love with it. I adore all of your t-shirt ideas but I have a question. We’re shaped alike but I often have trouble finding t-shirts that show that I actually have a waist. Are you tailoring them? If not, where are the best places to buy project shirts that show off curves. Thanks and I look forward to following your blog.

Hi Ash! Happy to meet you! To answer your question, I do sometimes take in my shirts if needed. But often times they work fine! I shop at all the “cheap” places! Target, H&M but my favorite store is JCrew. (Any of the shirts I cut up though come from places like Target!)
      xo

16. Sharon says

LOVE IT! Really want to try this when I catch a 2-fer sale. How did it look after you washed it? I know that jersey knit can roll up on the unfinished ends and I usually like that but I wasn’t sure if I would on an already ruffled shirt. Thanks!

PS: Def going to follow you on Pinterest now! Yippee!

Sharon, the ruffle did curl but I looked great wash after wash! I suppose the only issue would be if the ruffles were very small and they rolled making them too small after a wash…:)

17. Mimi says

Robin you make me want to save up for a sewing machine!!! Love this tee and been entertaining the idea of making my own clothes. Cool to see you are in Atlanta too. Keep up the great work! Thanks for sharing this idea.

18. Michelle says

I just took a sewing class and this looks like a cool starter project. Not sure about basting on one side. Are you folding the strip then stitching it. It would be so cool if you could do a tutorial video on Youtube!

19. Stephanie says

I tried to sign up via e-mail, but it wouldn’t let me. Any idea why? Also, love the t-shirt! Question about the sewing the ruffles…did you do it by hand or machine?

• says

Hi Stephanie! I’m so happy to meet you…can you tell me if you tried to sign up on my sidebar? I really appreciate you giving me a heads up…and about those ruffles…I did them w/ my sewing machine! ox

• Stephanie says

I basically know how to sew a straight stitch and that’s it. Is making a ruffle hard? Do you pleat the fabric as it goes through the machine?

• says

Stephanie, a straight line is all that’s needed! I think you’ll find lots and lots of picture tutorials if you google: how to sew ruffles! It’ll be easier than me telling you…I always do better with photos! ox